Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Freedom of Having Children

A single friend asked me several months if I ever regretted having children. I was taken aback by such a question as I suppose only a parent would understand. Of coarse I don't regret having children! Such a thought never crossed my mind particularly as some one who tried so hard to get pregnant and knows the heartache of losing a baby. I admit when I pass the Winking Lizard or my old local Pub at happy hour I think to myself how nice it would be to stop by for a drink after work and wonder what life would be like if I didn't have any responsibilities at home. I think back to college when the most pressing thing I had to do for the day was go get a carton of cigarettes (bleck can you believe I put those nasty things in my mouth?).

It recently occurred to me all the freedom I have now as a parent and all the fun things I get to do that I wouldn't otherwise do.
I get to take my daughter pumpkin picking, go on hay rides and stand in line for pony rides.

I get to go to the Popcorn Shop and drip chocolate ice cream all over myself.

I get to go to the zoo and trick-or-treating.

I get to go to family fun fest and bake in the sun while having bugs nip at my toes.

I get to squeeze myself in to a bathing suit 2 months postpartum, climb into a pool in the dead of winter and have 60 year-old women ask me where I bought my suit.

I get to ride on the scenic railroad and go to Hale Farm and village and meet the chicken man.

I get to put corny decorations all over my house and to stub my toes on my kid's toys lying on the living room floor.
I get to make a fool of myself during ballet class trying to get my shy 3 year old more comfortable.

I get to take pictures and delete any I don't like of myself.

I get to relive my childhood.

Best of all I get to see the light in my children's eyes when they learn new things. I get to hear I love you mommy and receive the world's best hugs.

I don't envy my single friends and have no desire to go back to that boring time in my life.




No comments: